FOR Statement of Purpose
- Statement of Purpose
- FOR Staff
- National Council
- FOR Task Forces
- FOR Annual Peace Awards
- Strategic Plan
- Ways to Support FOR
- Directions to FOR
- Contact FOR
- In Memoriam
Sign the FOR Statement of Purpose and become a lifetime member of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, free!
The Fellowship of Reconciliation is composed of women and men who recognize the essential unity of all creation and have joined together to explore the power of love and truth for resolving human conflict. While it has always been vigorous in its opposition to war, FOR has insisted equally that this effort must be based on a commitment to the achieving of a just and peaceful world community, with full dignity and freedom for every human being.
In working out these objectives, FOR seeks the company of people of faith who will respond to conflict nonviolently, seeking reconciliation through compassionate action. FOR encourages the integration of faith into the lives of individual members. At the same time it is a special role of FOR to extend the boundaries of community and affirm its diversity of religious traditions as it seeks the resolution of conflict by the united efforts of people of many faiths.
In the development of its program, FOR depends upon persons who seek to apply these principles to every area of life. FOR members:
- Identify with those of every nation, race, gender, sexual orientation and religion who are the victims of injustice and exploitation, and seek to develop resources of active nonviolence to transform such circumstances;
- Refuse to participate in any war or to sanction military preparations; work to abolish war and promote good will among races, nations and classes;
- Strive to build a social order that will utilize the resources of human ingenuity and wisdom for the benefit of all, an order in which no individual or group will be exploited or oppressed for the profit or pleasure of others;
- Advocate fair and compassionate methods of dealing with offenders against society; they also serve as advocates for victims of crime and their families who suffer loss and emotional anguish, recognizing that restitution and reconciliation can help to heal both victims and offenders;
- Endeavor to show respect for personality and reverence for all creation;
- Seek to avoid bitterness and contention in dealing with controversy, and to maintain the spirit of self-giving love while engaged in the effort to achieve these purposes.
Sign this Statement of Purpose and become a lifetime member of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, free!
- Fellowship of Reconciliation