16 Life-Changing Strategies
Men's Health Editors
- Go on a Sleep Cycle
- Eat 38 Grams of Fiber a Day
- Start Meditating
- Approach a Woman Every Day
- Do Pullups Every Day
- Train Barefoot
- Go to the Doctor
- Try New Sex Positions
- Switch to a Jacket and Tie Every Day
- Swear Off Snacks with Added Sugar
- Quit Looking at Porn
- Turn Off Your iPhone
- Keep Track of Everything You Spend
- Switch to a Stand-up Desk
- Go Low Carb
- Call a Friend Every Day
More Guy Wisdom Lists
- 18 Essential Summer Skills for Guys
- 14 Things You'll Outlive
- 5 Easy Steps to Protect Your New Baby
- Slow Down for More Success
- 13 Qualities Every Leader Should Have
- All Guy Wisdom Lists »
- All Guy Wisdom Articles »
- The Best Workouts for Any Age
- Have Better First-Time Sex
- The Safest Cities for Kids
- Why Are You Hungry After You Just Ate?
Switch to a Stand-up Desk
Notorious sloucher stuck in a sedentary routine and working long hours
Slump less and boost productivity. "Standing more is the single healthiest change most desk jockeys can make," says Mark Benden, Ph.D., an assistant professor of environmental and occupational health at Texas A&M's health science center. "You burn 20 percent to 25 percent more calories versus sitting, and it can improve your posture."
(1) Use a stand-biased desk instead of a sit-stand desk; you'll spend more time on your feet this way. Stand-biased desks (see geekdesk.com or ergotron.com) are higher than regular desks, and they pair with appropriately tall stools for times you want to sit.
(2) Start with 15-minute blasts and progress toward 45-minute sessions.
(3) Try a foot platform: It allows you to shift your body weight and attain better posture.
"I switched slowly, graduating to 30-minute sessions after 2 weeks. I had some foot pain, but now I spend more than half of the working day on my feet. My posture is straighter and I feel more alert and productive."
TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH, BODY, AND LIFE!
Sign up for our FREE Daily Dose newsletter for the best fitness, health, sex, and nutrition tips delivered to your inbox daily.
- « Prev
- Next »
- Stumble Upon
- Read on 1 Page