The Standards Development Lifecycle
IEEE Standards are developed using a time-tested, effective and trusted process that is easily explained in a six stage lifecycle diagram.
OverviewWhat are standards?
PoliciesWhat are our guidelines?
GovernanceWho oversees the process?
ProcessHow are standards made?
- Initiating the Project
- Mobilize the Working Group
- Drafting the Standard
- Balloting the Standard
- Gaining Final Approval
- Maintaining the Standard
Drafting the Standard
- How are Standards Written?
- The Standards Preparation & Editing Process
- Getting Help: Professional Services
Balloting the Standard
- The Balloting Process
- Casting Your ballot
Gaining Final Approval
- How is Final Approval Obtained?
- What Happens to a Standard After Approval?
- How are Standards Distributed?
Maintaining the Standard
- What Happens When Standards Have Errors?
- Revising Standards
Find Working Groups and Standards in Development
It's easy to find a working group or standard in development. Simply search by keyword or browse by topic below.
BROWSE STANDARDS IN DEVELOPMENT BY TOPIC
- Aerospace Electronics
- Antennas & Propagation
- Computer Technology
- Consumer Electronics
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
- Green & Clean Technology
- Healthcare IT
- Industry Applications
- Instrumentation & Measurement
- National Electrical Safety Code
- Nuclear Power
- Power & Energy
- Power Electronics
- Smart Grid
- Software & Systems Engineering
- Wired & Wireless
Participation is Easy
Anyone can participate in standards development. IEEE-SA Members can lead groups and ballot on standards. Learn more about how to get involved, or select an option below to get started:
- Find an Active Project Pick from 100's of individual and corporate standards in development.
- Find a Working Group Search by name, or link to a group from a Project Page.
- Contact a staff Liaison Voice your interest with a single click.
Development Service & Support
Services to support the entire standards development and implementation process.
- Professional Services
- Industry Standards and Technology Organization (ISTO)
- Industry Connections
Already involved in standards development? Below are useful links to manage your projects.
- Access our eTools
A collection of online tools and resources for standards developers including myProject, IMAT and Mentor
- IEEE Standards L50S Financial Report
Used by Sponsors to report any financial activity
Boards, committees, policies and procedures required to carry on the work of the IEEE-SA and promotes its purposes.
- Policies & Procedures
- Boards & Committees
Recognizing outstanding IEEE standards development participation.
Join other industry leaders to develop industry-relevant standards.
Supporting collaboration, development and adoption of standards across the globe.
Arc Flash Research Project
Initiative to support research and testing to increase the industry and public awareness of arc flash.
Help the IEEE-SA iteratively improve our standards and related products.