- Share This
Recipes + Menus
Cabernet-Cranberry Sauce with Figs
- Active time: 15 min
Total time: 1 hr
This recipe is part of our Gourmet Modern Menu for Thanksgiving for 2 or 20. Click here to view the full menu.
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 ounces dried calimyrna figs, stems trimmed and figs coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 (3- by 1/2-inch) strips orange zest
Bring wine to a boil with figs in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and steep figs, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve into a medium heavy saucepan and reserve figs in a small bowl.
Add cranberries, sugar, and zest to wine and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Adjust heat and continue to simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst and mixture is thickened slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and discard orange zest strips, then stir in figs. Let cool completely.
Cranberry sauce can be made 1 week ahead and chilled in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before serving, and if desired, thin with warm water.
If serving 2 to 4 people, sauce recipe can be halved, but because cranberry sauce keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator—and we think this one is particularly delicious—we suggest you make the full amount and enjoy it for months to come with chicken or pork, or as a topping for toast.
Photo: Lara Ferroni
Recipe by Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
- Gourmet Live,
- cranberry sauce
- Share This
More Recipes + Menus
- Salted Brown Butter Cookies
- Turkish Spiced Meatballs with Pomegranate Yogurt Sauce
- Parmesan Pepper Curly Kale Chips
- Bite-Size Chipotle Chicken Soft Tacos (tinga de pollo)
- Coconut Macaroon Sandwiches with Lime Curd
- Cremini Meringue Mushrooms
- View All Recipes + Menus