TEN ON TUESDAY
It’s been, like, a thousand years since I did a Ten on Tuesday post. But I love ‘em, I really do. So let’s get this party started…
1. I really, really, really, really, really like this sentiment:
2. Sometimes I put on cute shirts, neck scarves and earrings:
3. More often than not, I’m actually wearing something like this (no kidding, these are the ACTUAL PJ’s I HAVE ON RIGHT NOW):
4. I adore the show American Idol and am hooked this season. I loooooove Elise and think she has such a rad voice. Although I completely love the original version of this song (Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye), I love Elise’s voice singing it. Take a listen.
5. I get to go back to visit Eastern Oregon/Western Idaho in two weeks and I. CAN’T. WAIT. So many faces that I am excited to see (and so many things I am excited to eat). No kidding, I’ve already planned in my mind all the places I need to go eat while I’m there – Krispy Kreme, Fiesta Guadalajara (oh, how I miss those chips and salsa), Burger West (the most amazing pink sauce in the universe, not to mention the scotch ‘n’ sodas), and Jimbo’s Chinese restaurant. In other words, I’m going to gain 20 pounds in those two weeks, and not because I’m pregnant.
6. Have I mentioned I’m pregnant? I am. Due October 1st! We should find out soon whether it’s a boy or girl. Any name suggestions out there??
7. I think these shoes are perfection. At least, to look at. I probably wouldn’t last longer than half an hour wearing them.
Scalloped Platforms from BHLDN
8. I have found these tips to be super helpful. 10 Habits for a Well-Run Home
9. I love cute notebooks. Here’s my latest one:
10. I have a really long story about how I spent ages and ages looking for the perfect retro couch for our living room, and how I found a dope turquoise colored one in a store two hours away and I drove all the way there to buy it only to find out that they had sold it 20 minutes before and I was so sad that I cried on the way home but then as luck would have it I recently found a dope green colored couch on Craigslist for a fraction of the price of the turquoise couch and I went and bought it and my story ended very, very happy. But I’ll spare you all the details. ( ;
Happy Tuesday, peeps!
LOVE AT THE MOTOR VU
I don’t even know where to start with this one.
It was like a dream.
It started when I saw the Parma Motor Vu sign while driving down the road and just KNEW. A shoot at that location. It was in my near future.
I wanted to find the perfect couple to do this shoot with. Someone with style – specifically an Urban Outfitters type style, with a retro vibe. I wanted a couple who was in love. I wanted a couple who was completely fun and up for anything. I wanted a couple who could see my vision.
And, boy, did I find that couple.
Christian and Ryann were beyond what I could have hoped. So cute. So stylish. So in love. So chill. So friendly, funny and willing to do whatever I asked of them.
And they were MINDREADERS. Without telling me ahead of time, they borrowed her grandparents’ SWEET 1950′s Pontiac, complete with a license plate that said “LUVA.” I mean, come on. It doesn’t get any better. (By the way, I describe my reaction to them driving up in this car in this previous post.)
Like I said, the entire shoot really was a dream.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I have to give a couple shout-outs here -
First, to Super Mere who not only took some of the bomb photos you see in this post, but also captured many photos of me while I was shooting. They are some of my all-time favorite photos of myself and I am so grateful to her for that.
Next, a BIG thank you to the amazing owner of Parma Motor Vu, Karen. She was one of the sweetest, most accommodating people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. If you have some time, go read about the interesting history of the Parma Motor Vu here. And for those of you that are local to the Eastern Oregon/Western Idaho area, make sure you go to the Motor Vu sometime this season. It’s an experience you (or your kids) will never forget!
p.s. I have a good story from one of my own visits to the Motor Vu when I was a young teenager. I think I’ll share it on my Facebook page. ( ;Pin It
It’s officially been TWO MONTHS since I blogged.
Life has been crazy, hectic, busy. It’s also been fun, adventurous, and interesting.
Trying to get settled into a new home/place/state takes time. And focus. And energy. So it’s taken me this long to finally feel like I can jump (well, maybe not jump . . . more like tiptoe) back in the photography blogging world again, just a little bit, while I continue to make a home for us here in Minnesota.
However, I’ve been completely stumped about HOW to get back into blogging.
I mean, after being MIA for two months, I can’t just randomly post an engagement photo shoot without at least saying, “Hey guys. I know I was gone for a looooooong time, but I’m back now. And happy to be back. And excited to share so many shoots from the past year that I haven’t ever shared. So stick around.”
That feels a tad awkward.
Like seeing an old friend and shaking their hand, when you really should just hug.
So, old friend, instead of formally shaking your hand, I’m going to get a little more personal. Consider it my virtual hug to you.
BITS & PIECES OF THE PAST TWO MONTHS IN INSTAGRAM PHOTOS
(scroll down to see my notes)
1. A PLACE I’LL MISS: Fiesta Guadalajara in Oregon. I hope I see you soon, FG.
2. My current favorite nail polish. Teenage Dream by OPI.
3. The tree in my parents’ yard. The squirrels that live in this tree are small giants.
4. Origami display that I wish I could have snuck out of the restaurant. One of my last nights hanging with my BFF Karli.
5. Packing up the suitcases.
6. Oregon wants me to come back soon.
7. Leaving on a jet plane. (If you’re humming the John Denver song right now, we are meant to be friends. If you can sing all the words to all the songs on all his albums, we’re soulmates.)
8. Oh, Tina Fey. You make me laugh so hard. And you’re a good distraction on a long flight.
9. We got a “Welcome” cake soon after we moved to Minnesota. The term ‘Minnesota Nice’ is LEGIT.
10. I HAVE TO PUMP MY OWN GAS NOW?!? In Minnesota freezingness?!? Blerg.
11. Ohhhhh, the unpacking. So much unpacking. When did we get this much stuff??
12. One of the best things that the Midwest has to offer – Culver’s Butterburgers and Frozen Custard. This was the first of many times that we dined there. They have fried cheese curds. I’m serious.
13. What we know as Dreyer’s ice cream in Oregon/Idaho is called Edy’s here in the Midwest. Why are they trying to trick us?? I don’t understand. p.s. They also switched Carl’s Jr. to “Hardee’s” here. Still with the famous star. But why???
14. I now live within an hour and a half of IKEA. Is it sad that this is one of the main reasons I’m okay with living in Minnesota? By the way, this striped blanket will be going into an “Olivia” themed bedroom for the toddler. If you come across anything else that would fit with that theme, let me know!
15. On a day when I was feeling a bit lonely, my Scentsy warmer reminded me that I’m loved. Isn’t that sweet?
16. My new hobby? . . . thrifting. I’ve always hated it – until now. I don’t know why. But I DIG IT. And I’ve found some rad things. This crocheted afghan, for instance. Hot pink? Yes, please.
17. Abba Zaba. Apparently they don’t know what this is in the Midwest. And that makes me sad. But apparently I might have luck finding it at Jim’s Apple Farm. We are so going here once the snow melts.
18. Me. And my funky, hacked bangs.
19. I’m not used to seeing pine trees where I live. So this is a treat. Thanks, Minnesota!
20. A thrift store find. I think these babies were $2. Trying to decide what color to paint them… what do you think?
21. Me. Again.
22. The BEST blueberries I’ve ever eaten. Hands down. I wish I had some right now.
23. Minnesota has some beautiful sunsets.
24. Another thrift store find. I decided I’m going to collect milk glass. I think it would look cool against a bright, colorful background.
25. And yet another thrift store find. I promise it will be cool once I get it hung up. Don’t be a hater.
26. Did I mention that I majorly tweaked my back about a week after we got here? Apparently I’m not as strong as I think. And apparently I should try to heft large boxes full of books downstairs. After a few days of pain and hardly being able to move, I went to the doctor. p.s. I’m okay now. Thanks for asking.
27. This is one of the best gifts I’ve ever received. Ever. A going-away quilt from my Karli, made by her talented mom. I love both these women and think of them every time I wrap my quilt around me.
28. After hurting my back, I spent a lot of time relaxing. It kind of put a damper on the whole “unpack and get settled” thing.
29. My favorite way to make my house smell like a home: orange rinds, cloves, and allspice in a saucepan with water. Simmer and smell the goodness.
30. We’ve been verrrrry lucky to have a mild winter here in Minnesota, but we’ve had a few snowfalls (enough to make it fun to play in). I’m ready for spring.
31. Double Me.
32. I like to play with my daughter’s watercolors. I think I want to buy some actual, grown-up watercolor paint.
33. These windows in my dining room are my favorite. They let in gorgeous morning light.
34. Snack toast. What is this and why are entire grocery aisles filled with this stuff? I need to know, Minnesota. Please fill me in.
35. Boots. Because I live in Minnesota. And apparently it snows a lot here, usually.
36. The stained glass snowflake that my dad made (yes, my dad is an amazing artist!). It’s in my kitchen window and may stay there all year long. I love it. And love him.
37. A fun package in the mail from Karli. Potty training kit: undies for the toddler, chocolate and a funny book for me. I really, really love getting fun mail!
38. My new moccasin flats. That I hope I can wear sooner rather than later. (Seriously, spring in February would be great.)
39. It turns out that our local, small-town library ROCKS. It’s the coolest. We’re going to be there three times a week, at least.
40. Life is Good.
If you’d like to follow me on Instagram, I’m @amberfischer.
If you’d like to see one of my all-time favorite shoots blogged, hop over to Facebook and “Like” Amber Fischer Photography.
If you’d like to make me smile, leave a comment. ( :