Home > List of rides > UK > Edinburgh - Google this ride!
The Edinburgh WNBR is part of Team Green Britain Bike Week (18-26 June 2011).
Please donate to the WNBR UK Fund
The UK World Naked Bike Ride fund provides local organisers with
money for poster/flyer printing, advertising, ride equipment etc.
Please give generously.
Date: 14 July 2012
Location: No Edinburgh ride this year, GLASGOW INSTEAD!!!
Dress Code: "Is Nudity mandatory?"
It's not such a silly question when you think about the name of the event but No, nudity is not mandatory.
The official dress code is that genitalia should be covered as well as nipples, to avoid scaring small children and horses, and after that, go wild.
In previous years, riders have worn shorts, bras, swimwear, body paint, wigs, sunglasses etc. Most wear footwear and bring bags to carry clothes. Body painting and adornment, customised bikes and other creative expression are all strongly encouraged.
See also the United Kingdom FAQ for more information on this topic
Although there has been a lot of media attention on the legality of nudity on these rides it really is something of a non-issue. For the record, anyone who turns up fully nude will be risking arrest on a charge of "Outraging Public Decency". Older and wiser heads have informed us that this has been the case for most rides in the early years, we have just been stuck with it because Edinburgh WNBR has so far never run continuously for more than a year or two, meaning negotiations have to be opened afresh each time.
This is an organised event, and there will be a police escort. Since the Police are there for our protection (we will be riding en-masse in traffic after all) we would prefer not to aggravate them unnecessarily. The Police were fantastic and friendly in 2010/2011 and this event would like to continue having an amicable relationship.
The clothing options are pretty simple: Bare-as-you-Dare (except for Nipples and Nadgers)
Now on to the fun stuff: Decoration!
Now we know where the limits are (ie. the absolute bare minimum) lets have fun with it. Last year people were plastering each other with body paint, nipple tassels and comedy G-strings. We work best when we are forced to improvise, so improvise your hearts out.
We will do our best to provide some screens to get changed behind, but we guarantee nothing. Why not have a 'painting-party' beforehand, and really go to town?
Best of all, take some inspiration from other rides around the world, many of which manage to post pictures that are totally work-safe due to the sheer weight of ornamentation!
Edinburgh prefers riders rather than photographers. Rider-photographers are OK but we will probably be using the London photography policy unless posted otherwise. That means if your photography behaviour is unwelcome, you'll be required to leave.
THIS YEAR THE SCOTLAND RIDE WILL BE IN GLASGOW - SEE THE GLASGOW PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS
Middle Meadow Walk is a long tree lined avenue through the Meadows Park. At the north end of the Walk is Teviot Place and at the south end is Argyle Place. Here is a link to the map and here is a map of the Meadows. Here is an excellent photograph that shows what Middle Meadows Walk looks like.
Publicise the ride
Please help get the word out about this ride. Circulate leaflets. These may be available for collection from a central Edinburgh location (TBA). We'll put a downloadable version here shortly.
If you want to get more actively involved in the ride, register your interest in the ride at . Also please join the yahoo group for General UK rides announcements and discussion
It helps to get an idea of numbers if you register your intent to participate in this ride by filling in the Registration form at the main World Naked Bike Ride site.
Saturday 11 June 2011
In spite of temperatures of less than ten degrees and continuous rain, 10 people were still game enough to make the ride wearing only bodypaint and some scraps of lycra. The ride started at approx 4:30pm, half an hour late due to a last minute storage issue.
- Map of the Route
Saturday 12 June 2010
Our WNBR started at 3pm with about 20 to 30 participants - check pictures below
Saturday 13 June 2009
- Will WNBR Happen In Edinburgh this Year? - James' reply
Sunday 29 June 2008
- Jacquie Phelan’s Weblog: "Swan Song to the Eden-birds"
A partially-clothed WNBR took place in Edinburgh on 12 June 2004 and it had more participants than the London ride on the same day. At least one rider participated in both rides!
- David Monteith-Hodge (flickr.com)
- Yao Hui (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
- sandy_beach_cat (flickr.com - tagged as adult, flickr sign in required)
- byronv2 (flickr.com)
- WNBR EDINBURGH 2010! (facebook.com)
- Flickr: Chris Hill
- Flickr: Mojtaba-2008
- a short film by Andy Cameron of the start of the ride (Youtube.com)
- Edinburgh Spotlight, 4 May 2011: "11th June will see naked* cyclists assemble at Middle Meadow Walk"
- The Scotsman, 25 May 2011: "Cyclists gearing up to grin and bare it " By Laura Cummings
- The Scotsman, 08 June 2010: "Cyclists not allowed to let it all hang out for naked event " By Rory Reynolds
- Edinburgh Guide, 12 June 2010: "World Naked Bike Ride in Edinburgh"
- The Herald, 24 May 2008: "Cyclists’ naked ambition to take to the capital’s streets" by Brian Donnelly
- Scotsman, 11 Jun 2004: "The naked truth" (Opinion piece)
- BBC News, 12 Jun 2004: "Protest cyclists opt to cover up"
- Sunday Herald, 13 Jun 2004: "Edinburgh covers up after protests"
- Scotsman, 14 Jun 2004: "Barely no trouble at naked ride"
- WNBR 2011 Edinburgh Facebook event
- WNBR Edinburgh Facebook group
- Critical Mass Edinburgh
- WNBR UK (This page has FAQ info and links to the other UK rides)
See also United Kingdom page
- WNBR UK Yahoo! group for Announcements and discussion of all UK rides.
See also United Kingdom page
- ViaMichelin Map of Edinburgh
- Wikipedia: Edinburgh
- Wikipedia: City of Edinburgh
- Wikipedia: Lothian
- Ride locations
- United Kingdom
- 2004 ride locations
- 2008 ride locations
- 2010 ride locations
- 2011 ride locations
- Confirmed ride locations
- Northern hemisphere ride locations
- Previous ride locations
- Ride locations with media coverage
- Ride locations with photos