Department of Engineering

IT Services

Your computer passwords

You'll be using several passwords while you're here. They're used for different purposes and administered by various bodies (often not the Engineering Department). You need to look after them - see the Password security page for details.

This page lists some passwords, tells you what they're for, and what to do if you forget them.

  • RAVEN password - needed to access certain web pages at Cambridge University, and also for lapwing (wireless access). You can used it for hermes e-mail too. It's administered by the university, not CUED. See their How do I get a Raven password? page for password details.
  • hermes password - used to access university mail service (though you can use your Raven password instead). It's run by the university, not CUED. The quickest way to get your hermes password reset is to take some ID to Computing Service User Administration team at the Computing Service Reception area on floor 2 of the Cockcroft Building on the New Museums Site. If it is not possible to visit in person you can email or phone (3)34680 to see what alternatives can be arranged.
  • PIN - a 'Personal Identity Number' used only at CUED. It provides access to some Web-based facilities(though you can nearly always use your Raven password instead), and is used to authorise printing, photocopying, etc. You can type pin on the teaching system machines to discover what your PIN is. See our PINs page for details.
  • Engineering password - used to access the Engineering computers. You can type passwd on the teaching system to change your password. If you've forgotten your password, see the operators (near the DPO, main building, 1st floor), bringing photographic proof of identity. See our Setting a New Login Password page for further information
  • UFS password - used by those submitting and processing orders to access the University Finance System. It's run by the University's central Management Information Systems Division not CUED. See their Password Problems page for password details.
  • Desktop Services password - Managed Cluster Service password. It gives access to various college and department clusters of PC and Mac machines. The service is run by the university, not CUED. See their Desktop Services accounts, passwords and security page for password details.

The University Computing Service's Changing/Choosing Your Passwords page might also be useful. is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its contents. This is a safe-cache copy of the original web site.