Rigatoni with Sausage, Butternut Squash and Spinach
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
Everyone will love this casserole full of sausage, pasta, cheese and squash all rolled into one yummy dish, perfect for Halloween.
- 1 1/2pounds (2 medium) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 6 to 8sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1pound Italian sweet sausage, removed from casings
- 1teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1bunch spinach, washed, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- 6cloves garlic, chopped
- 8ounces uncooked rigatoni
- 2cups half-and-half
- 1/2cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2cups finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2cup breadcrumbs
- Additional cheese for topping (grated Pecorino Romano or mozzarella), optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Toss together squash, olive oil, thyme, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper on a large baking sheet. Roast 20 to 25 minutes, until squash is tender, but not mushy. Discard thyme.
- Place sausage and fennel seeds in a large Dutch oven; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break up sausage, until meat is no longer pink. Remove sausage and drain most of oil. Return pan to stove; lower heat to medium. Add spinach and garlic; sauté until spinach is wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Turn off heat and return sausage to pan.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375F.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain well. Toss with sausage mixture. Add squash, half-and-half, chicken broth and half the cheese. Gently toss. Place in prepared pan, top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. (If making in advance, allow mixture to come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator.)
- Bake 25 minutes, until thoroughly heated and crusty on top. Serve with additional cheese.
Recipe adapted with permission from Lauren Bank Deen’s Kitchen Playdates (Chronicle, 2007).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 450
- Fat 20g
- Saturated Fat 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 50mg
- Sodium 910mg
- Potassium 680mg
- Carbohydrate 44g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 23g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 290%
- Vitamin C 100%
- Calcium 45%
- Iron 20%