19 6 / 2013
This Is Not Fucking Harmless
[UPDATE: In the opening paragraph of this beast I mentioned a Kickstarter campaign that I am passionate about, that represents everything I like about Kickstarter. But for some reason I am getting bombarded with e-mails from people that think that project and “Above The Game” are connected. And now people are pulling funding for the project I’m pumped for. Because of that, I’ve removed any mention of them by name.]
I love Kickstarter. I think that’s clear to people who know me by now? I love it. There’s a this one small independent game studio that is intensely creative and puts out some of my favorite games. But before Kickstarter, every time they put a game out, I was a little worried it would be their last, and I’d have to worry that if people didn’t buy it who knows what would happen to that studio.Then they found KIckstarter and now they make games and people like me can front load the development cost for them and it is the absolute best arrangement for creative people who want a tool in the exhausting struggle of art + commerce. A friend of mine is taking a month off her job to write a children’s book because of this platform. It’s GREAT. I love it.
The outcome of this is that I spend a lot of time just browsing Kickstarter looking for something cool to either back or crow about online. I don’t really back much - I don’t have a ton of capitol to toss around, and I’m sure the fact that I have a lot of ideas and no money factors into my love of a platform that gives money to people with ideas - but I like to check it out. So tonight, I found THIS fucking thing.
This is a nightmare.
Watching the video, reading the description, it sounds fairly innocent but a little eye-roll inducing. It’s another book where some nerd, desperate to be liked by women (this is not an insult, we are ALL desperate to be liked by someone we want to have sex with) thinks he’s figured out some cheat code or check-list like routine they can run in a bar to make women sleep with them, as if women aren’t people but a series of subroutines or an obstacle course that they can optimize to get their dick wet as fast as possible. And he’s written that advice down! And he’s selling it! To you! You could learn his cheat codes. This is nothing new for the internet. In fact, a large swath of this book was published already on Reddit. What’s new is that he’s crowdfunding it.
And sure, you might think this is sad or dumb or that this guy is just another lonely dude talking to other lonely dudes who’ll head out into the night with their fedoras to failure, right? Not a big deal? Oops, turns out we’re wrong, because here are some excerpts from what he’s already put on Reddit -
“5) Get CLOSE to her, damn it!
To quote Rob Judge, "Personal space is for pussies.” I already told you that the most successful seducers are those who can’t keep their hands off of women. Well you’re not gonna be able to do that if you aren’t in close! "
“All the greatest seducers in history could not keep their hands off of women. They aggressively escalated physically with every woman they were flirting with. They began touching them immediately, kept great body language and eye contact, and were shameless in their physicality. Even when a girl rejects your advances, she KNOWS that you desire her. That’s hot. It arouses her physically and psychologically.”
“Decide that you’re going to sit in a position where you can rub her leg and back. Physically pick her up and sit her on your lap. Don’t ask for permission. Be dominant. Force her to rebuff your advances.”
Pull out your cock and put her hand on it. Remember, she is letting you do this because you have established yourself as a LEADER. Don’t ask for permission, GRAB HER HAND, and put it right on your dick.”
SO. Now I am no longer rolling my eyes.
This guy is no longer just being weird and creepy on the internet. Now he’s writing a book about how to sexually assault women, and he is using something I believe in (Kickstarter) to ask YOU for money to do it. I am offended as someone who believes in the platform, and more importantly I am offended as someone who believes women shouldn’t be treated this way, and that people who say otherwise CERTAINLY should not profit off saying they should.
This isn’t harmless. People come to these boards because they are scared of being humiliated, and they are saying to the world, “Tell me what to do, because I don’t know what to do.” And this guy has chosen to tell them, “You should be a rapist."
There’s largely nothing we can do about people saying this shit on a place like Reddit - Reddit’s a mess for another time - but let’s get it off of Kickstarter. The project is funded in 10 hours - and unfortunately a lot of those are sleeping hours - but PLEASE report it to Kickstarter, please tweet @Kickstarter asking them to take it down, and PLEASE do not let something cool be used for the UGLIEST thing imaginable.
The Kickstarter - Report Button is on the bottom of the page
Please Tweet at @Kickstarter
Permalink 10,342 notes
- darcellcrockett liked this
- mg-028 liked this
- dagobaby liked this
- ethicalmesses liked this
- hydracorn liked this
- jongdaeity reblogged this from silverdustlizzie
- socialjusticespellsword reblogged this from diesistkeinblog
- joyo14 liked this
- madgirlxx97 reblogged this from lostwiginity
- madgirlxx97 liked this
- uncle-slaptalian reblogged this from askhb
- dankcarnival reblogged this from askhb
- spacescarf reblogged this from askhb
- themazetripper liked this
- leofayomayo liked this
- nghtcrlr liked this
- theosos reblogged this from caseymalone
- abtreibung liked this
- asexual-stranger reblogged this from wincenworks
- oceanszzz liked this
- bathroomideasgod liked this
- mellro liked this
- rankoran reblogged this from uninhibitedandunrepentant
- cnhqhotel liked this
- kathyanon reblogged this from caseymalone
- morfinkanin liked this
- purple-link-pone reblogged this from askhb
- unknownamountoflizardsscreaming liked this
- sociallyawkwardstoner liked this
- 8n8l liked this
- mondaymonmon reblogged this from pua-txt
- masqueradejelly reblogged this from wired-infornography
- masqueradejelly liked this
- felladon reblogged this from caseymalone
- wearebut2tardust reblogged this from caseymalone
- strange-girl-named-star reblogged this from askhb
- strange-girl-named-star liked this
- pessimisticallybeingoptimistic reblogged this from caseymalone and added:
It’s disturbing how many backers have pledged for this thing.
- pessimisticallybeingoptimistic liked this
- noiretverde liked this
- staunchly liked this
- o0st0ned0o liked this
- lovektfoo liked this
- jaydragonmite liked this
- wily-caryatid reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- wily-caryatid liked this
- caseymalone posted this
- ').split(''); if(window.tumblrNotesLoaded)if(tumblrNotesLoaded(notes_html)==false)return;var more_notes_link=document.getElementById('more_notes_53339539674');var notes=more_notes_link.parentNode;notes.removeChild(more_notes_link);notes.innerHTML+=notes_html;if(window.tumblrNotesInserted)tumblrNotesInserted(notes_html);}};tumblrReq.open('GET','/notes/53339539674/mQkCmYn4i?from_c=1388583408',true);tumblrReq.send();return false;">Show more notes