What’s your setup? – Michelle Moore
Tue, Jul 27, 2010
This week, Michelle Moore shares some of her favorite shots and setups. Here’s your chance to get a sneak peek into the mind of a true master!
For more great images, be sure to visit Michelle on here blog.
All Photos © Michelle Moore
- Canon 1Ds Mark II, 85mm: 1/60 @ f/7.1; ISO 100
- Profoto Acute2 2400 Kit + Profoto Pro Big 7 ft.
- Model was laying on floor and the Profoto Pro Big 7 was directly above and to the top left corner of the model.
- A slight angle (about 30 degrees) between the light and the floor.
- This evenly lit the model from above, and gave just a tiny bit of drop off to the lower right corner of the frame.
- Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50mm: 1/1600 @ f/1.4: ISO 200
- Client was leaning against fence with the sun directly behind. Taken at about 5pm (In Seattle in July) so the sun was still overhead from about a 30-45 degree angle.
- Ground across the street was white to add a slight bit of bounce (light reflection) into the client’s face.
- No reflector was used.
- Flare was created from a 50mm lens, and the angle between the sun.
- Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50mm: 1/320 @ f/1.6: ISO 1600
- Taken about an hour and a half after sunset – so sky was completely dark.
- We used car headlights pointed directly at the musician – so lighting would be even on the face.
- The image was taken in a large parking lot, so a few lights created a small amount of ambient fill in the background
- Canon 1Ds Mark II, 45mm TSE; 1/400 @ f/4.5; ISO 200
- Sun was peeking over building behind client. I had client walk into the sun just past the building’s shadow.
- This was taken at 12pm (Noon) in Seattle in July, so the sun was very much over-head, but not directly over-head.
- Michelle was wearing a white tee-shirt which created the extra sparkle in the eye on the image on the right.
- Light colored pavement and buildings behind the Photographer created a nice even, and reflective fill. No reflector was used.
- The 45mm TSE (Tilt-shift) lens created the blur and unique focus plane.
- Canon 1Ds Mark II, 35mm: 1/500 @ f/1.4: ISO 100
- Sun was about an hour from sunset – we were essentially in open shade because it had dipped behind some trees to the left of frame.
- The sky was a nice even soft lighting from image left.
- Shot around 8pm in Seattle in late July.
Share and share alike
If you’ve got more questions, you can reach Michelle on Twitter @moorephoto. Also, feel free to add your images with setup details in the X-Equals flickr Group.
Check out some related posts!
- Behind the Scenes – with Ryan Klos
- $4.99 – Living in the Cloud – Offsite Storage for Photographers
- What’s your setup? – Ryan Klos
- Painting with the Sun – Masters of Natural Lighting – Beth Jansen
- Painting with the Sun – Masters of Natural Lighting – Michelle Moore
- Connecting the Dots – DPI Tips that Matter
- Photo Profile – Michelle Moore
- Have XMP, will travel
- Share, and share alike
- FTP for you and me